The Bruin Post

The Student News Site of Mountain View High School

The Bruin Post

The Bruin Post

MVHS wrestling teams prepare for war

This fall the MVHS boys and girls wrestling teams have been prepping for the oncoming season by going through tough practices and tournaments. The team has been very committed to these practices, showing up every Monday and Wednesday at 5 p.m. and practicing until 6:30 p.m. On each day they hone their techniques and work on their conditioning to make sure when the season comes around they are ready. Wrestler Christian Mooney stated that, “I am excited to wrestle this season. I only got 2 matches last tournament and lost both so I’m excited to see how I’ve grown.” along with excitement, there also comes worry

As the season draws closer the worries grow larger and larger. Wrestler Helamen Weiss says, “I’m worried about failing in front of others, I’m so new it’s a little nerve racking.” Worries can really damage an athlete’s performance. But a way Weiss has helped dull this worry is by getting confirmations from coaches that as long as he does his best and tries his hardest, that is all that matters.

The Wrestling team, aside from practices, have gone to tournaments to see how much they’ve grown individually as well as what all they can improve on. Wrestler Kevin Hawley states, “This last tournament was tough, my first match was against a stud, my second was a breeze, my third was close and I’m not super happy with my performance but will make adjustments accordingly.” Even when the wrestlers don’t do as well as they would like, they adjust and practice until they solve the problem and are able to be happy with themselves about the issue.

The wrestling season is only a month away and these young men and women are preparing vigorously to be in the best shape they can be in order to ensure their individual season is a success.