The Bruin Post

The Student News Site of Mountain View High School

The Bruin Post

The Bruin Post

The hidden challenges of being a teacher

April Montalvo Narciso
MVHS is a place where students hope to land a good teacher.

Teachers play a crucial role in shaping our education and future. However, many students are unaware of the immense challenges teachers face daily. In this article, we will explore why being a teacher is hard and shed light on the vast scope of their responsibilities that often go unnoticed.

Teaching is a demanding profession that requires dedication and continuous learning. While students see teachers in the classroom, they often don’t realize the countless hours spent outside of school preparing lessons, grading assignments, and providing individualized feedback.

Spanish teacher Mr. Keaton Wynn at MVHS was asked what teaching in high school is like for him. “I am willing to dedicate my time so my students can learn important skills for their life,” Wynn said.

Financial constraints can also make being a teacher difficult. Despite their dedication, teachers are not always financially rewarded proportionately. Many teachers dig into their own pockets to provide classroom supplies and materials, ensuring students have the necessary resources for effective learning.

In the article ‘Teach salary in Utah’ it states “The average teacher in Utah gets paid about $56,149 a year. That’s about 27 dollars an hour.”

Teachers have multiple responsibilities beyond teaching content. They serve as mentors, role models, and even counselors—guiding students through academic and personal challenges.

When MVHS counselor Annika Phillips was asked what it’s like knowing she helps thousands of students every year, she said “I feel honored really. The thought of being able to help kids with any problem you could think of feels amazing. All the hard work put into it definitely paid off.”

Being a teacher is no easy feat. The demands of the profession extend far beyond the classroom, encompassing emotional support, financial challenges, and a myriad of responsibilities. As students, it is crucial to recognize and appreciate the dedication and hard work that teachers invest into our education. So students, next time you’re giving your teacher a hard time for not having super fun lessons, or not grading your assignment the second you turn it in, put yourself in their position and think about what it would be like to have hundreds of students expecting so much out of you everyday.