The Bruin Post

The Student News Site of Mountain View High School

The Bruin Post

The Bruin Post

Bruin X-Country: Architects of Utter Domination

Phil Roeder

When it comes to producing long distance runners, Mountain View has always been the best. Mountain View Cross Country has a long history of domination at state tournaments and interstate competitions, such as the Nike Cross Country tournament (NXR). Our team proudly holds several national titles.

Our athletes currently train under and run for Coach Michael Strauss. Revered and loved by all his pupils, the master puts the athletes through rigorous training, oftentimes running an insane 60+ miles per WEEK. It’s not all just running. They weightlift several times a week and the distance they run varies from day to day.

Coach Strauss also knows the importance of recording personal progress. The team uses just a simple google sheet to record time and mileage, facilitating goal setting and noticing small improvements. Noticing small improvements is key to making continual progress and also knowing what you need to improve upon to beat the best of the best.

The next big event for our athletes is the 2023 Utah High School Athletics Association (UHSAA) sanctioned 4A division X-Country state tournament. This will be held on Tuesday, Oct 24, at the Regional Athletic Complex in Salt Lake city. So wish these outstanding student-athletes good luck and they just might bring us home a state title.