The Bruin Post

The Student News Site of Mountain View High School

The Bruin Post

The Bruin Post

Multicultural week at Mountain View

Multicultural week has been a long-standing and beloved tradition at Mountain View for over 20 years. Each day of the week is run by a different club. Our multicultural week was January 22-26. The grand finale of the week is the Multicultural celebration and performance assembly on Friday, Jan. 26.

Students from the Korean club, the Japanese club, Native American (AIP), POP (People of the Pacific), French club, the Multicultural club, and Dance 3 performed traditional dances and prepared performances to share with our students and faculty here at Mountain View. The assembly ended with a beautiful sing-along to “We are the World” where each one of the clubs came together on stage all displaying the flags from the many countries represented. There are two performances of this assembly; one during the day between first and second period, and one at night after the Latinos in Action fundraiser dinner.

I talked to the Student Body Multicultural Representative, Iona Faleseu about why Multicultural week is an important part of our school culture here at Mountain View. “I’ve seen some students who don’t really talk to other kids here if they’re not of the same culture/race so them getting to show it off and people congratulating them… I’ve seen more people make connections doing that.”

Culture is what makes us the way we are and celebrating the different cultures we have here at Mountain View helps us come together and support each of our fellow bruins.