Girls Soccer Season Review

The Mountain View Bruins girls soccer team finished their soccer season pretty strong. With their season record being 9-9, most of the games were really close, within a point or two. The team looks to be very good in the future. With only three seniors finishing their career, Mountain View will keep most of their varsity players next year.

The Bruins were able to score around 30 goals in their season. They won 7 games in a shutout without letting the other team score. They beat Mountain View’s rivals, Orem High, in both games they played in the season with scores 3-0 and 1-0. Their record at home was 5-3 and their record away was 4-6. They finished the season 4th in their region. They had many close games but also some blowouts with the worst loss being 8-1 to Ridgeline, but their best win being 8-0 to Jordan. The girls won the 8-0 blowout with a different girl scoring each goal. The scorers included Bailey Peterson #15, Kate Shirts #18, Mikelle Hirschi #4, Ava Golding #36, Mayzie Ford #5, Sierra Bryan #24, Izzy Bramble #2, and Ashley Hamblin #23.

JV girls also had a decent season with a record of 4-3-1. They won all four of their games in a shutout and also beat rivals Orem High.

One of the highlights of the varsity girls season was getting redemption on Alta High School. The first time the Bruins played Alta they took a hard loss with a score of 3-0. Three weeks later the Bruins were determined to make a comeback. Not only did the Bruins dominate possession the whole game they beat Alta with the same score they lost to with a 3-0 shutout.

The Bruins won their first round of playoffs against Woods Cross High School in a clean PK shootout. A PK shootout is what happens when both teams tie and can’t score in either overtime. They will take turns shooting a penalty kick and which every team makes the most of 5 wins. The game was extremely close and ended regular time in a tie 1-1 with a goal from Mountain View’s Sophomore Ashley Hamblin. Neither team could score in overtime so it went to the Penalty Kick shootout. During PKs, goalkeeper Bree McCarter saved two of Woods Cross shots. Mountain View capitalized and made all four of their shots ending the kick out early and taking the victory in the first playoff match. They ended up losing the next playoff game but it was also a really close match with it going to another PK shootout after a regular time score of 2-2. They couldn’t win the shootout but played a good game against a really good team, Cedar Valley, who was second in their region with a 16-3 record.

The Mountain View girls soccer had a very good season and look to be really good in the future to come. With many ups and downs, the girls made many memories. The seniors, Kate Holyoak, Lilly Sinema, and Denae Waite played great and should be proud with the way they finished off their high school career.